Kirsty

Emotional Inteligence EQ vs IQ

Emotional Inteligence EQ vs IQ


I always knew there was a reason why I was successful in spite of the fact I was academically challenged in high school...In Daniel Goleman’s book ‘emotional intelligence’ he quotes statistics that IQ is only responsible for determining about 20% of our chances of success. The other 80% is determined by our social and interpersonal skills & our emotional intelligence. EQ is described as our ability to have empathy, understanding and rapport. To be able to put ourselves in someone else’s shoes.



There is no greater skill for relationship building than EQ and for life and business success there is no greater skill than being able to build great relationships.

Now if we want to get off that one off treadmill and start opening up lifetime relationships one of the first things we need to do is start transitioning relationships through from closed to open. If we were to imagine concentric rings / circles and on the outer circle is where we start when we meet people, we are strangers and have superficial conversations. The idea is to move these relationships inwards to our inner circle. Closer and closer in to start building a connection. Through using EQ ‘empathy, understanding & rapport’ we slowly get to know each other and you will slowly be rewarded with trust, loyalty and a lifetime relationship. 

Just like personal relationships; we need to spend time together and get to know each other.  If we didn’t spend any time with our friends or we only spoke to them on email or the phone we wouldn’t get to know them very well. Clients are no different we need to invite them into our world and spend time together outside of business to truly connect.

Most of you have now heard me talk about ‘furk’  I believe for too long now, we have been separating and compartmentalising FUn and woRK and it's time we blurred the lines a little... So I took the 1st 2 letters from the word FUn and the last 2 from the word woRK to make the word FURK. It’s about blurring the lines between work and play, colleagues and friends clients and friends but its mostly about not separating our life and being ourselves. 

So by furking there are many ways we can invite clients into our world and spend time together outside of business to truly connect. In my next blog are my top ways.

 to tun work into furk.